Each week, we will be a highlighting a friend of 3x1 that inspires us. We recently met with Gilles Bensimon, French fashion photographer and long time friend of 3x1. Gilles joined French Elle in 1967 and later helped launched American Elle. He has been working with 3x1 since inception and we love catching up with him.
If you weren't a photographer, what would you be?
- "I would like to be a surgeon because you can see the results of your work right away. You get to play God and decide life. I would also like to be an architect".
On Art -
- "I love art but not the art world. It has become so commercial, like a game. The entire focus is on the investment and not on passion for the art. Jeff Koons is an entrepreneur, not an artist. Art always reflects who we are as a society right now."
On Women -
- "Most of my friends are women. Women give me everything I need. One of the reasons why I love Sweden so much is because of their attitudes towards women. They are seen as equal to men. Swedish women are also more creative and open-minded."
You've accumulated several pairs of 3x1 jeans. Which denim do you usually gravitate toward?
- "I prefer the heavier Japanese denim from Collect Mills and usually select all copper hardware."
What is your favorite travel destination?
- "The next place. I like idea of escaping and am currently traveling about 3 times a week. I also love Venice in the winter."
What is your favorite place in New York City?
-"The Police Building Apartments on Broome and Grand." (His current residence)
What is your favorite restaurant in New York?
-"I don't like to eat very much but my favorite restaurant is Il Buco."
What is your greatest fear?
If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
-"I would never change."